Football New Brunswick
Fair Play Code
As of 2001, Football New Brunswick has implemented the "Fair Play Code" of the Commission for Fair Play of the Minister of State- Fitness & Amateur Sport:
Fair Play Code for Athletes
(1) I will participate because I want to, not just because my parents or coaches want me to.
(2) I will play by the rules, and in the spirit of the game.
(3) I will control my temper- fighting and "mouthing off" can spoil the activity for everybody.
(4) I will respect my opponents.
(5) I will do my best to be a true team player.
(6) I will remember that winning isn't
everything- that having fun, improving skills, making
(7) I will acknowledge all good plays/performances- those of my team and of my opponents.
(8) I will remember that coaches and
officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions
Fair Play Code for Coaches
(1) I will be reasonable when scheduling
games and practices, remembering that young athletes
(2) I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
(3) I will ensure that all athletes get equal instruction, support and fair playing time.
(4) I will not
ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will
(5) I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes' ages and abilities.
(6) I will remember that children
need a coach that they can respect. I will be generous with praise
(7) I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
Fair Play Code for Parents
(1) I will not force my child to participate in sports.
(2) I will remember that my child plays sports for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
(3) I will encourage my child to play by
the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to
(4) I will teach my
child that doing one's best is as important as winning, so that my child will
(6) I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
(7) I will remember that children learn
best by example. I will applaud good plays/performances
(9) I will support all efforts to remove
verbal and physical abuse from children's sporting
(10) I will respect and show appreciation for the
volunteer coaches who give their time to provide
To further demonstrate its commitment to fair play principles Football New Brunswick has created the Football New Brunswick Fair Play Awards.